Avoiding the Pitfalls of Working with Inexperienced Apartment Locators
When you’re looking for a new apartment, it can be tempting to work with an inexperienced apartment locator. After all, they’re offering to help you find the perfect place to live for free, right? But there are some potential pitfalls to be aware of before you decide to work with an inexperienced locator.
What are the risks of working with an inexperienced apartment locator?
- They may not know the market well. Inexperienced locators may not be familiar with all of the different neighborhoods in your city, or the types of apartments that are available. This means that they may not be able to find you the best possible place to live, or they may even steer you towards an apartment that’s not a good fit for your needs.
- They may not be able to negotiate effectively. When you’re looking for an apartment, it’s important to be able to negotiate with landlords to get the best possible rent price and terms. Inexperienced locators may not be able to negotiate as effectively as a more experienced locator, which could cost you money in the long run.
- They may not be able to answer your questions. If you have any questions about the apartment rental process, or about the specific apartments that you’re looking at, you need to be able to get answers from your locator. Inexperienced locators may not be able to answer all of your questions accurately, which could lead to problems later on.
- They may not be looking out for your best interests. Many new apartment locators are drawn to the high commissions they can earn. With the promise of a high commission, they throw a dart in the dark, hoping you’ll get approved, with little to no effort.
- They don’t know or understand how apartments really qualify tenants.With over 1,000 apartments under our belt, Prestige Realty knows the rental qualifications of each and every one. Bad credit isn’t the only thing landlords look for. They may also consider debt-to-income ratio, positive credit lines, criminal background, and income.
- No relationships with the community or apartment. Many new apartment locators are taught they can do their job from the comfort of their own home, without ever stepping foot in an apartment complex or building relationships with the leasing agents or management. This often leads to conflict with leasing agents, as the locators have made little effort to pre-qualify their clients. Also, how can they refer you to an apartment community only based on the photos? Ask yourself, would you continue a relationship without ever meeting the person face-to-face?
How to avoid the pitfalls of working with an inexperienced apartment locator:
- Do your research. Before you decide to work with any locator, be sure to do your research and read reviews online. This will help you to identify any potential red flags.
- Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to ask the locator questions about their experience, their knowledge of the market, and their negotiation skills.
- Get everything in writing. Once you’ve found a locator that you’re comfortable working with, be sure to get everything in writing, including the services that they will provide and the fees that they will charge.
Here are some additional tips for working with an apartment locator:
Be clear about your needs
When you’re talking to the locator, be sure to be very clear about your needs and budget. This will help them to find apartments that are a good fit for you.
When the locator sends you information about apartments, be sure to respond promptly. This will show them that you’re serious about finding an apartment and that you’re willing to work with them.
Be prepared to be flexible when it comes to your move-in date and other details. This will make it easier for the locator to find an apartment that meets your needs.
Working with an apartment locator can be a great way to find a new place to live, but it’s important to be aware of the potential pitfalls of working with an inexperienced locator. By doing your research and asking questions, you can avoid these pitfalls and find a locator who will help you to find the perfect apartment for your needs.
Prestige Realty is proud to be the top apartment locator in Phoenix, Arizona, with a stellar track record of over 10 years of experience and over 350 positive Google reviews.